Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The A1C: A Test Where Higher Is Not Better

What is an a1c test?
My meter allows me to test my blood sugar at certain points in time. The a1c test gives me a picture of average blood sugar levels over the past 2 or 3 months. For example, as a student your GPA is much more meaningful than what you scored on a few tests.

Why is it important?
My goal is to keep my blood sugar in the healthy range. If I can mimic what my body does if it did not have diabetes, using my meter and my insulin injections, then I can avoid/reduce the risk of scary complications.

What is a normal range for an a1c test result?
If you don't have diabetes the normal range for a1c score is 4% to 5.9%. Some diabetes organizations recommend values below 6.5% for diabetics. The American diabetes association recommends below 7.0%.

How do you interpret the a1c (%) score?
It corresponds to average blood sugar according to this chart below. And remember as a reference, after eating several slices of cold pizza, Justin's blood sugar was 116.
a1C (%) Avg. Blood Sugar (mmol/L) Avg. Blood Sugar (mg/dL)
5 4.5 80
6 6.7 120
7 8.3 150
8 10.0 180
9 11.6 210
10 13.3 240
11 15.0 270
12 16.7 300

Before: What was my a1c when they did the test for me in the hospital?
My a1c was 18%. I'm not sure exactly what average blood sugar level that corresponds to since it's off the chart, but if you follow the pattern it's 480.

After: What was the result of my first a1c test?
I'll give you a hint: Not 18%. I've been controlling my diabetes for 3 months now. My endocrinologist told me today my result was 6.2%! That was very encouraging for being new at this.

Unfortunately, it's not just one a1c test that's going to change my life. I'm going to have to keep this up. I can never rest on my laurels. It's a little overwhelming and depressing when I think about it that way (that my diabetes is never going to go away), but then I try to focus on the things I can control and the fact that I'm doing a good job. It definitely demands a lot of responsibility and extra effort, but it's manageable with the support I have from friends and family (and my diabetes team). P.S. I think all the nurses at the diabetes center and my endocrinologist love Justin. I think I would need to create a whole new blog site just to talk about why my boyfriend is so amazing, and yes, I would post multiple times a day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

a1c score 6.2% is just like normal or maybe it's even better than mine. I know you don't check email so often, your blog might be the best place to get in touch.
Blog is a great idea to keep all of your thinking and share with friends & family.
Daddy

Kerri. said...

An A1c of 6.2 is terrific - you should be very proud! And a great post here, perfect for people looking for the A1c basics.

I can also understand dedicating a blog solely to Justin. It's crucial to have a fabulous man in your d-life. But, judging by the fact that your dad posted a comment, it seems as though you have two fabulous men. :)

Anonymous said...

An A1c of 18% translates to an average BG level of 564 mg/dl (31.3 mmol). Ouch.

Congratulations on getting your A1c down to 6.2%! That is a number to be proud of :) Your 6.2% translates to an average BG level of 143 mg/dL (8.0 mmol).

Welcome to the OC! Please feel free to stop by and visit me at Candid Diabetes.