Monday, June 01, 2009
Week 1: Pumping Saline
I'm attached to a minimed insulin pump that is administering saline. Even though I'm looking forward to the conveniences and hopefully health benefits of using a pump, I'm still getting used to physically being attached to a device. I haven't figured out how to wear an insulin pump with a dress (sewing in pockets is not an option). I don't even know what my true ratios are (for corrections, for carbs, etc.) When I first started, I counted carbs "precisely" (actually did math in my head). Now I'm in a state where I look at something and go "ehhh probably need 10 units" and for the most part I get it right. While on the pen, my A1Cs since being diagnosed with t-1 have been 6-6.4. My last two a1cs have been at the high end of that range. I decided to switch to the pump for a few reasons: 1) It's been a while on the shots and so many people love the pump 2) I want to learn to use the pump to prepare for having kids down the line and get tighter control 3) I'm going to be busy being back at school (getting my MBA) and think I'll do a better job with a pump. That being said, there were a few moments today when I looked down at my side at the tubing and gray beeper, and felt very sad. I know if I keep at it, that this too will become 2nd nature. But for now, I have to be sure not to drop the beeper - since there isn't enough tubing to reach the floor, which means that it's probably going to hurt - and climb a new learning curb to figure out how this all is supposed to work. Next week, I switch to real insulin.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment