Thursday, August 24, 2006

Traveling and My Feet

I'm going to a wedding in New York this weekend for the first of our high school friends getting married. There are two other friends from this circle who are in the pipeline. I guess we're approaching the low end of the hot zone, the target range where people usually decide to take the plunge. I haven't seen many faces in a very long time (very possibly since graduation) so it will be a bit of a high school reunion. I will be seeing all of these people for the first time as a diabetic, including my family in Manhasset.

I haven't traveled since they arrested the 20 or so terror plotters in the UK. I'm planning on arriving at the airport extra early for a red eye in case I have any issues trying to get through with my medical supplies. I feel like there has to be a better solution for travel safety than all these restrictions.

Diabetics are supposed to take extra care of their feet. You always hear this when people talk about complications. Check your feet often, keep them clean, if you get a pedicure bring your own tools don't soak in the tub i.e. don't get pedicures. I found myself a little obsessive in preparation of traveling to NY. I bought these new pair of skinny jeans that would just be cuter with flip flops.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

its always nice to hear about you, please take care of your body and don't overwork yourself~ miss you.

Kerri. said...

Hi there. I just came across your blog and am very interested in your diabetes diagnosis story. I have been a type one diabetic since I was six years old (I'm 27 yrs old now) and I write a diabetes blog called Six Until Me. I would love to add you to my blogroll, if you wouldn't mind.

And re: your footewear quandry, I hear all the warnings about diabetics and their feet. And I just about live in flip flops all summer long. Go for yours. :)

-- Kerri.